Monday, April 22, 2013



Cercis canadensis ‘Appalachian Red’




’. As you drive down the highway in Pennsylvania in April you will see beautiful lilac flowering trees  decorating the landscape. The flowers seem to line the  smooth bare branches in small clusters.  Today, as I walked through the nursery , this redbud caught my eye.   I am not a big fan of hot pink flowering trees, but these small red/pink flowers ( not yet fully open) caught my eye.  Appalachian Red has the brightest flowers of all the Eastern redbuds I have  seen.     This tree was  discovered by plantsman Dr. Max Byrkit along a roadside in Maryland.   Its magenta buds open to hot neon, pink flowers. Like other redbuds , it is hardy through USDA Zone 5, After the flowers start to disappear,  large heart shaped light green then dark green leaves appear. Fall color is yellow.  Place this tree in front of   a few dark green evergreens and the pink color will pop even more. 

Full sun to part shade (I would give it a little afternoon shade)  20' x 20', Native,  medium growth rate, and tolerates a wide range of soils. Blooms mid to late April.  A nice addition to any yard.

No comments: