Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Little and Lewis Concrete Garden Artist

This summer I visited  the garden of  George Little and David Lewis on Brainbridge Island in Washington. Prior to my visit I had only seen photos of their garden on  their web site and in their book, "A Garden Gallery".  Their work is inspiring for many and often imitated . One of  my favorite concrete art pieces is the Gunnera leaf (see below).     Their  studio is located in this beautiful garden, which is filled with many unique pieces of art and unusual plants. I was lucky to have George give me a tour of their garden and share some of his passion for plants and art.


Their entrance is marked with this simple sign.

The garden in not large, but it is filed with many tropical plants and beautiful art.  The colors used are soft pastels that blend perfectly well with the colors of the plants.  Bold leaves real and concrete are positioned purposefully around the garden. Concrete  columns washed is colors of blue and aqua mark the entrance to the garden.


A wooden wall is used to display many wonderful pieces of art.


Concrete leaves are painted so perfectly they appear real.




One of the more original pieces is this  pomegranate. Little and Lewis opens their garden periodically to garden groups or are also  open by appointment.

This gunnera leaf is about 3 ft wide. The plant used for this concrete work of art grows in their back yard.  The colors are not the true colors of the leaf, but instead  are creatively bold. 
This mirror hangs on the wall of the entrance to their home.  I am amazed at the detail of the stalks of wheat.  This would look good inside or outside.
This green man caught my eye.   It is now hanging on a wall in my garden


No comments: